If words can be shortened, Japanese will inevitably shorten them. Two by two syllables is often the sweet spot, and sometimes it's hard to guess where those came from.
- デジカメ deji kame
- デジタルカメラ dejitaru kamera, a digital camera.
- パソコン pasokon
- パーソナルコンピューター pāsonaru konpyūtā, a personal computer. ノート nōto stands for notebooks.
- プリクラ purikura
- プリントクラブ purinto kurabu or "print club". A sort of extremely flashy photo booth and a favourite pastime for many.
- パチスロ pachi suro
- パチンコ＆スロット pachinko & surotto, locations everywhere offering the number one Japanese gambling game pachinko and traditional slot machines.
- リモコン rimokon
- リモートコントロール rimōto kontorōru, remote control
- KY kei wai
- 空気読めない kūki yomenai, "can't read the air", meaning an unperceptive person who can't read between the lines/can't keep up with a conversation.
- That's how it is, isn't it? (General agreement, especially old people can be heard going "sō desu ne" back and forth quite a few times.) そうですね。 Sō desu ne.
- I have made you wait (terribly) long. (Used as an excuse after any amount of downtime, even just seconds. Often also used as a starter to get things going again.) （大変）お待たせしました。 (Taihen) omataseshimashita.
- It's been honorably tiresome. (To colleagues in the sense of "you gave it all, good work", but more generally at the end of almost any activity.) お疲れさまでした。 Otsukaresama deshita.
- Give it your best! (Meant to be encouraging and motivating.) 頑張って！ Ganbatte!
- I will receive. (To yourself before starting to eat or when accepting something offered to you.) いただきます。 Itadakimasu.
- I will trouble you. / I will be impolite. (When entering your superiors room or an unfamiliar house, when trying to get someone's attention or generally when interrupting someone.) 失礼します。 Shitsurei shimasu.
- I have troubled you. / Excuse my impoliteness. (When leaving your superiors room or an unfamiliar house or generally as "Sorry to have bothered you, carry on.") 失礼しました。 Shitsurei shimashita.
- It is alright. (For general reassurance. Used with "desu ka?" to inquire if something or somebody is alright.) 大丈夫。 Daijōbu.
- Great! / Incredible! (Very popular amongst girls and greatly overused.) 凄い！ Sugoi!
- How cute! (See "sugoi".) 可愛い！ Kawaii!
- Reallyyyyyyy~? (Almost a standard reaction to any kind of news. Can be lengthened indefinitely and is hence useful to stall for time when thinking about a real answer.) ええぇ〜 Eee~
- Lie! (Doesn't necessarily accuse one of lying, usually used in the sense of "Seriously?!") ウソ！ Uso!